4 cups all purpose flour
10 Tbs. fat (cold butter, margarine or vegetable shorterning or a combination of any two)
½ teaspon salt
About ¾-1 cup cold water
3 Tbs. oil
½ cup of finely chopped onions
1 Tbs. curry powder or desired amount
½ tsp. turmeric powder (optional)
¾ pound (about 340g) of diced or ground lean meat
2 medium potatoes, boiled and finely diced
1½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. sugar
oil for deep frying
1. Prepare the filling first. Heat oil and saute the onion until transparent.
2. Add curry and turmeric powder and lower heat and fry until
fragrant. Add in chicken and fry until cooked.
3. Add in potatoes and seasonings or according to taste. Cook another
5 minutes. Leave aside to cool.
4. Process the flour and salt together in a food processor until combines.
Add in the fat (cut into smal pieces).
5. Pulse until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Continue to pulse,
adding water through the feed tuble 1 Tbs. at a time, until the dough comes
together and forms a ball.
6. Cover the dough in a bowl and let it rest for at least ½ hour.
7. Roll dough into a long log, cut it into about 30 even-size pieces.
8. Lightly roll each piece between your hands into a ball, use the palm of
your hand to flatten into a ¼-inch disk.
9. Take a tablespoon of filing and place in center.
10. Fold pastry over to make a half circle and crimp at edges.
(You can freeze some curry puffs at this point for a later snack or meal).
11. Deep fry in medium hot oil (300 degrees F) until golden.
Drain, cool and serve.