Friday, November 5, 2010

Zuchinni Chocolate Sheet Cake




I was looking for an easy-to-make and taste good dessert to make for my small group meeting.  My good friend Lily pointed me to this recipe which I have slightly adapted to suit my own taste.   The ingredients in this recipe are easy to find in your own pantry and refrigerator.  Most of the time you can't go very wrong with chocolate. I still had some zuchinni left and it is another great way to put some vegetables into your cake, if you grate your zuchinni fine enough, nobody will even suspect they are in there.  My daughter (not a lover of vegetables) even commented that it is scary thing that she even likes this cake after finding out that there is zuchinni in it!  I wasn't trying to hide the zuchinni so I did a 'coarse-grate'.  It was super moist and a hit in my group.

So this recipe is specially dedicated to all the ladies in my small group. Sit down with a cup of tea or coffee, have some cake and prepare for your next lesson !




   Ingredients

  • 1.2/3 cups sugar
  • 1 cup oil (vegetable or grapeseed)
  • 3 eggs
  • 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup baking cocoa
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2.1/4 cups shredded fresh zucchini
  • 1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract

  • ICING:
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
  • 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
  • 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Directions
In a saucepan, melt butter; add milk and cocoa. Bring to a boil.

Remove from the heat. Whisk in confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Pour over warm cake. Cool completely on a wire rack.

In a large bowl, combine sugar and oil. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the egg mixture alternately with the milk. Stir in the zucchini and extract. Pour into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until cake tests done. While cake is baking, combine all frosting ingredients. Mix until smooth. Spread frosting over cake while hot. Cool on wire rack.

Yield: 20 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment