Friday, October 29, 2010

Pies


I have known that my husband loves fruit pies but for some reason I've always let him buy his own pie.  For the life of me I don't understand why I did not make him any.  I've made him almost everything he enjoys but pie... maybe crust-making feels a bit too intimidating or maybe it is just my own love for baking cakes.

This last summer, I woke up from my 'pie slumber' and start experimenting with pies.  I enjoy researching and experimenting pies and am so glad that my family had their fill.  I found a good pie recipe in my research and hope that you too will enjoy making some pie for your family this Fall season.





PIE CRUST
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
11 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
5-6 tablespoons ice water

2 pints fresh blueberries
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch

1 large egg
2 teaspoons milk or cream

To make the crust, in a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, salt and baking powder. Work the butter in, using a pastry blender or your fingers, until pea-sized lumps form. Sprinkle in the water, 1 tbsp. at a time, stirring gently with a fork after each addition and adding only enough of the water to form a rough mass. 

Using floured hands, pat the dough into two smooth, flattened discs. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes in the refrigerator before rolling out. 

Meanwhile, stir together blueberries 3/4 cup sugar and cornstarch until well combined.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. 
Roll one dough disc out thinly on a floured surface, using a rolling pin, and fit into a 9-inch pie plate, place on a cookie sheet; fill pie shell with blueberry mixture. Roll out additional dough disc and top blueberry mixture; trim and flute edges. Slice some cuts in the center of pie. Whisk together egg and cream in a small bowl and brush evenly over pie dough.

Bake for 1 hour or until deep golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.

Makes 8 servings




  
Peach Pie


No comments:

Post a Comment