Wednesday, June 30, 2010

`Memories of `Supper'

 "Supper" in many parts of Asia refers to the meal taken later in the evening after dinner, usually between 9 pm and midnight.  Many times it can be the most exciting meal of the day!  There is an endless choice of things to eat at supper time from the humble kaya toast and a cup of tea or coffee, local cakes, a variety of shaved ice desserts, hot dessert soups of all kinds, steamed buns with all kinds of fillings, rice and noodles of all sorts. An inexhaustible list ...  you can find all these wonderful food on the streets, coffee shops, hawkers, passing street vendors and also at food courts and eateries in shopping malls.
Below are some of my personal favorite 'supper noodles dishes' when I use to lived in Malaysia . It is always special when I get to eat supper with family or friends as I am an early-to-bed-early-to-rise type of person.  I have fond memories of my uncle (whom we used to stay at the same house with) bringing supper home to the family most nights as he had a night job.  My brother got to partake supper lots of nights as he loves noodles and was much better at keeping awake.  If I am lucky, I will get some left-overs the next morning! Now I can bring some of these dishes to my table to share with my family.  These dishes still bring the same warmth to my heart every time I cook them. 

Hokkien Noodles



Wat Tan Hor - A medley of meats/seafood 
in creamy egg sauce
Cantonese Fried Noodles - Meat/Seafood & Vegetables
in Creamy White Gravy over Crispy Pan Fried Noodles


















Char Kway Teow - Fried Flat Rice Noodles with Shrimp,
Garlic Chives and Bean Sprouts in Special Dark & Light Soy Sauce
Fried Rice Noodles (Chow Mei Fun)

1 comment:

  1. yes, talking about supper - families with many girls will get many 'tar pau' for 'siew yeh'- supper in cantonese, as the future son-in-laws want to gain favors.

    ReplyDelete